Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Tidbits

Well the big day has come and gone, as Daughter has aged the mornings are less frenetic and sleeping past 7:15 am would be a distinct possibility if Wife could hold back her excitement.

The big gift from Santa was a Wii system that Daughter has been Jonesing for for the better part of a year. Prices have come way down and I bit the bullet and added one more piece of electronic distraction to our lives.

We spent the better part of 3 hours bowling, playing baseball and tennis and I woke up in the morning with my right arm feeling just the way it used to after catching four games in a day at fastball tournaments in years past - the knees were fine however.

Wife and daughter braved the mall for a couple of hours on Boxing day, returning with a 3rd remote for the Wii and another game disc that includes a cow-riding game - we later learned that Grandma is really bad at cow-riding.

Wife bought me a superb text about charcuterie, the only glitch is the recipes are for 25 pound batches so I'll need a calculator while I cook, or else a big freezer.

Daughter received a hair dryer and that provided two pieces of info:

1) In the instruction booklet they advise do not use while sleeping - who knew ?

2) when you live in a 95 year old house do not use the hairdryer on the same plug that has the computer, the space heater and the indoor Christmas lights.

Wines of Christmas were limited, the menu doesn't call for great wines in my mind, but the Lafrenz 2005 Shiraz was brilliant, making me wish it wasn't my last bottle and the Little Yering Pinot Noir 2008 from Yering Station in Australia was good value at $14.98 (CSPC#606110).

I'm back to work tonight after the longest Christmas break I've ever had while serving, 5 days, and I can honestly say I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment